Tuesday 8 March 2016

Banana and blueberry cookies

I'm not sure whether I have already mentioned but my boyfriend and I have given up chocolate, cakes and sweets for lent. Neither of us are particularly religious but we chose to do it to challenge ourselves (and see who would crack first). At first I found myself craving sugar all the time but substituted these foods with naturally sweet foods such as berries, bananas and other unhealthier foods such as biscuits and cereal.
The one thing I am missing the most is not chocolate, but cake. I didn't particularly eat much cake before but I just really want some now! This is what inspired me to make these cookies, as a kind of substitute.
After making some alterations I came up with the perfect recipe for banana, blueberry and oat cookies. These are a much healthier alternative to chocolate chip cookies and are nice a sweet even though the only sweet ingredient added is golden syrup!



Makes about 8 cookies

Recipe:

Ingredients:
1 mashed banana
75g blueberries
100g oats
100g plain flour
1&1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp. golden syrup
1 egg
1tsp vanilla essence

Method:
1. preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and grease a baking sheet.
2.In a bowl mix all the dry ingredients together: oats, flour, cinnamon and baking powder
3. In a separate bowl whisk the egg, mashed banana, vanilla essence and golden syrup
4. tip the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together with a wooden spoon.
5. Finally, tip in the blueberries and gently stir into the mixture, place a spoonful of mixture for each cookie onto the greased baking sheet and place in the oven for 10-15 minutes depending on how soft you want them.

No comments:

Post a Comment